Making Rights A Reality
Women Advocates Research & Documentation Centre
Watch a Message About Our Campaigns
Years Of Experience
STATES OF OPERATIONS IN NIGERIA
FREE LEGAL SERVICES FOR WOMEN, CHILDREN AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES.
Women Advocates Research and Documentation Centre (WARDC) is a non profit civil rights organization established in the year 2000. To promote respect for human rights, gender equality, equity, rule of law, accountability and social justice in Nigeria.
A just, equitable and sustainable world in which every person especially women and girls enjoy the right to a life of dignity, freedom from violence and all forms of oppression
To work together in solidarity with other women’s human rights defenders to create cultures of gender equality, justice and equitable access for Nigerian women using advocacy, litigation and policy reform strategy.
WHO WE ARE
Women Advocates Research and Documentation Center (WARDC) is a women’s rights organization in Nigeria, which provides pro bono legal services for women’s victims of gender-based violence and other women’s rights abuse. WARDC since inception has prosecuted over 450 cases in court, instituted four class actions and received an average of six women every week, for legal and socio counseling on matters of gender-based violence and other civil matters that affect women. It has also established 42 paralegal communities across Nigeria.
WARDC Holds Roundtable Meeting with North East Lawmakers on the violence against person prohibition (VAPP) Law
The speaker of Bauchi house of Assembly while addressing the other speakers from the other northern states said that "as law makers, we ought to make policies in accordance to the law to ensure that we pass laws that support the truth of our people". He further stated...
The Women Advocates Research and Documentation Centre (WARDC) says it has commenced the implementation of the Spotlight Initiative Project in Lagos State to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls. The EU-UN initiative was necessitated by the rising...
Dr Abiola Akiyode-Afolabi, the Executive Director, Women Advocates Research & Documentation Centre, WARDC, speaks on the rise in rape cases. Rape has of late been on the rise. Do we have adequate deterrent for potential rapists? As we all know, rape is an...
If dressing is reason for rape, children shouldn’t be victims — Executive Director, women advocacy centre, Akiyode-Afolabi
If dressing is reason for rape, children shouldn’t be victims — Executive Director, women advocacy centre, Akiyode-Afolabi Published July 21, 2020 Executive Director, Women Advocates Research and Documentation Centre, Dr Abiola Akiyode-Afolabi, in this interview with...
Gender-Based Violence Abiola Akiode-Afolabi, who is the executive director of WARDC, said although there was high prevalence of gender-based violence before the COVID-19, the pandemic and its attendant lockdown aggravated it. “Tension has built up, there is a lot...
A non governmental organisation, Women Advocates’ Research And Documentation Center (WARDC) has released a survey it commissioned which reveals that women were majorly sidelined by the Federal Government and many states across the country in decision making and...
Our Top Priorities
– Advance education, research, self-development and positive change in the society.
– Promote gender equity as a principle of human rights and a developmental goal.
– Advocate gender re – balancing in resource distribution, legal rights and political participation.
– Promote gender justice and the achievement of equality in policies, laws and social relations.
– Contribute positively to the achievement of good governance, transparency, accountability and people-friendly legal system in Nigeria.
STRENGTHENING THE REPRESENTATION & PARTICIPATION OF WOMEN IN POLITICS & GOVERNANCE
- Facilitate the effective implementation of NDI project
- Strengthen Interparty network of women in politics
- Engage grassroots mobilization & campaign support for women in Leadership, decision & governance
- Facilitate mentoring platforms between upcoming women politicians
PROMOTING GENDER EQUALITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY THROUGH POLICY ADVOCACY AND INFLUENCE IN NIGERIA
Empowering communities with strategic actions for
- Promote Numeracy. Literacy, financial Literacy & Life skills to 180 girls (17-25 yrs)
- Establish/ Strengthen boys/girls clubs
- Provide scholarship for 20n girls
- Deploy financial literacy & Life skills to 120 boys (18-30 years)
- Advocate for girl’s education
STRENGTHENING CITIzENS RESISITANCE AGAINST PREVALENCE OF CORRUPTION (SCRAP-C)
Goal: A Reduction in corruption as a result of both strong incentives not to loot public resources .and public attitudes that will increasingly disapprove of corrupt activities.
STRENGTHENING VOICES OF ADOLESCENT GIRLS AND WOMEN IN NIGERIA FOR CHANGE AND POLICY INFLUENCE.
‘Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defence of women hating.’